[OSGeo-Discuss] Is OSGeo North America-centric?

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Tue Sep 5 03:23:02 EDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> On 4-Sep-06, at 6:38 PM, Gary Lang wrote:
>>
>> “How to enable more people to participate in OSGeo efforts (make it
>> less North-America centric which is getting to be an issue in
>> European GFOSS communities)”
>>
> Is this purely an issue about optics - or how the organisation
> 'appears' to be?  Or is it based on some deliberate decisions that
> make it more difficult to participate?
>
> Like you say, when any group wants to do more or feel closer to the
> action, it sets the stage for regional chapters.  Surely people
> wouldn't say, for example, the German Chapter of OSGeo is too North
> American focused?  Yet we are all OSGeo.  Local focus is the reason
> for the chapters, so engagement at that level will be the most
> effective and empowering.
Maybe I should ask the question a different way, when I return home how
can I join the North American chapter :-)  If people in North America
have not felt the need to make a chapter yet, perhaps it explains the
impression of a North American focus for the organization as a whole.
> If there are more Americans and Canadians involved in events, etc.
> it's only because of regional interest and availability (e.g. being
> closer to certain conferences, etc) - not because of some decision to
> leave others out in the rain.  I hope that isn't the perceived problem.
Rather then conferences I suspect many of the projects owe there
existence to historical opportunities (data and funding) available in
both countries, it is good to see more opportunities (and some very cool
projects) appearing around the world.
> Would love to hear more thoughts on this,
I think it may be a subject for FOSS4G next week, my main interest in
going is to catch up with all the interesting work happening outside of
North America.
Jody