[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS GIS in India

Sudhira H S hs.sudhira at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 08:47:45 PDT 2007

Hi,

I would like to clarify on one aspect relating to GIS in educational
institutes. If not for Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and the
initiatives taken at Centre for Ecological Sciences, the GRASS mirror site
in India <http://wgbis.ces.iisc.ernet.in/grass/index.php> would not have
been hosted. Besides I personally know couple of my friends here who are
using QGIS and GRASS. Indeed for the last couple of training programmes on
GIS and Remote Sensing delivered here, we used QGIS (with GRASS plug-in) for
the lab sessions and we did away with MapInfo as well!

Regards,
Sudhira

> GIS in educational institutes:
> Markus Neteler visited and did some work with Anna
> University Chennai, in early nineties, and they still
> show GRASS GIS in their syllabus. But unfortunately
> there are no takers. There are more than a hundred (an
> approximation) institutes and universities in India
> that offer courses in Geomatics, Remotesensing,
> including the IITs( top educational institutes of the
> land). All of them teach proprietary GIS (ARC and
> ERDAS) and  image processing software. The reason,
> they are driven by the industry's needs, and it is a
> fact that jobs are there for those well versed in
> proprietary software.

Research Scholar, Ph.D.,
Department of Management Studies and Centre for Sustainable Technologies,
Indian Institute of Science,
Bangalore - 560 012, Karnataka State, INDIA