[OSGeo-Discuss] Data for the Integration Showcase

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Thu Aug 23 10:01:38 PDT 2007

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Bob Basques wrote:
>> Jody,
>>
>> Ok, I must be dense, I don't see a link to any data anywhere on this
>> page: http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_IntegrationShowcase
>> A lot of reference and catalog description links though.
>>
>> Is this it?  :http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Canadian_Geodata, not
>> exactly obvious from the previous page if you ask me.
>>
>> Ok, this is a neat idea, but shouldn't there be one spot with a copy
>> of the data someplace, even just a subset of smaller datasets would
>> start folks going.   It would make it much easier to get started on
>> participation.
> I only was aware of the data loaded into the PostGIS database there; you
> can access the database to rip it out onto your machine. But it sounds
> like the data is available separately at the link Dave Patton described:
> - http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Canadian_Geodata

The "proper" place to get the original data is via the
links on the Canadian Geodata wiki page.

All of that data was acquired by myself, Jason, and Justin,
and all of it has physically been loaded onto the server
that Justin is managing, which hosts the Integration Showcase.

Not all of the loaded data is yet available via services on
the Integration Showcase server. That's the whole point - until
all the participants in the showcase 'add their piece', you
won't see the complete picture.

Going back to Jody's original point - if you want to be able
to show your software, on your laptop, using the same data
as is available on the Integration Showcase server, then your
best bet is to download the data yourself from the original
data source(s).

It's a different proposition if you want to use your software,
on your laptop, to access data/services that are available
via the Integration Showcase server. For that, you need to
coordinate with Justin.

--
Dave Patton

Degree Confluence Project: