[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Presence On Wikipedia

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 18 18:23:25 EST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 3:41 PM, Landon Blake wrote:

> This might be more appropriate for the marketing mailing list, but
> I thought all members might want a chance to comment.
>

> I’ve been doing a little work on a dictionary of GIS terms with
> some of the folks from the education committee. At this point I’m
> only defining terms I run across while writing my Metadata chapter
> of the Free GIS Book. My work on the dictionary got me thinking
> about Wikipedia.
>

> Would there be any benefit to having a coordinate group of OSGeo
> volunteers that create and maintain GIS and FOSS GIS entries on
> Wikipedia? I know that is one place a lot of people might get their
> first tidbit of information about GIS. I thought this might be a
> great way to get some positive public exposure, and to also provide
> a public service.

Landon, the OSGeo entry is already there along with entries for
several of the OSGEo projects (GRASS, etc)

> We could set up a wiki page to coordinate Wikipedia entries we help
> to maintain, and I could start by migrating some of the appropriate
> definition entries from the dictionary to Wikipedia.
I think that wikipedia entries for GIS terminology (with links to
relevant osgeo web pages where appropriate) would be more useful than
a dictionary of GIS terms maintained on OSGeo web site. There are
probably quite a few entries already, although I found a lot missing
when we were trying to cleanup the terminology used in our book. If
you are thinking more about dictionary entries, Wiktionary may be a
good place, but I am not sure that is what you are trying to do,

Helena