[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Presence On Wikipedia

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Dec 20 07:39:28 PST 2007

Perhaps I have muddied the waters with my clumsy efforts. :]

The idea of a dictionary for GIS terms is great, and is something that
will be useful for work on the Free GIS Book. I have no problem working
on dictionary entries at Wiktionary or somewhere else. For the time
being I'll add my definitions to the Starter Dictionary page I created
on the OSGeo Wiki. When the group decides where we want our
geodefinitions permanently, I'll work on moving the content in the
starter dictionary over.

My idea about the Wikipedia entries was not meant to replace the
dictionary, but was a separate beast entirely. I don't want the two
ideas to be confused. I think there would be content appropriate for an
article on something like Wikinfo that wouldn't be appropriate for a
dictionary.

I hope I haven't made a mess of things. I was just throwing some ideas
out there. I'll keep adding entries to the Starter Dictionary page of
the OSGeo Wiki as I work on my Metadata chapter and articles for the
OSGeo Journal. I will support moving to whatever dictionary platform
best fits the OSGeo in the future.

Landon