[OSGeo-Discuss] MapServer Vs GeoServer

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Fri Feb 9 08:00:03 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 13:20 +0100, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> IMHO in general Mapserver is better at WMS, Geoserver is better at WFS.
> Although I must admit I haven't checked Geoserver's WMS capabilities in
> a while.
>
> One big difference is that Geoserver supports WFS-T, i.e. transactional
> WFS, and Mapserver does not.

+1

> Mapserver is not very efficient against database sources for WFS (uses 1
> SQL statement per feature retrieved), Geoserver does much better in that
> area. This is especially true for attribute queries in WFS.

Mapserver is a stable, mature project that has one of the highest
performing wms servers around.  I'll probably get shot at for this, but
my own view of geoserver is that while it is very capable, it is still a
rapidly evolving project that has only just recently started to become
stable while under very heavy load.

Just my $0.02

Regards,
Tim Bowden