[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: MapServer Vs GeoServer

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Wed Feb 14 18:04:11 EST 2007

Gao_Ang wrote:
> Comparing Geoserver with Mapserver on the Open Geospatial Service such as WPS.
> I'm glad to learn that Geoserver will provide the OGC WPS support with the combination of "FROGS" framework.  FROGS is specifically
> focused on the implement of WPS. On the contrary, I haven't get any information that Mapserver will provide the function of WPS directly.

The FROGS guys basically don't seem to be around for open source
collaboration - their public source code was months out of date (and we
had to spend weeks setting up a meeting for them). Specifically we were
trying to contact them as we set up a "Spring" based module system
(since they had hopped on ahead with that technology prior to GeoServer
being interested).

But there is always hope; there are a couple of interested developers
looking to set up WPS as a geoserver community plugin - should be a good
time. One of the best reasons to have a module system is to support a
community plugin space.

Jody
> If there are some friends learn about any other implement or information of WPS specification besides pyWPS and 52N WPS, please let me know by the mail.

Cheers,
Jody