[OSGeo-Discuss] Science of Design Symposium 2007 - Humboldt State University

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 20 07:51:05 PST 2007

Forwarding you some info about this event...
http://www.humboldt.edu/~sod/symposium/
I'd love to know who might be attending.

Tyler

--------

Science of Design Symposium, March 2007: Teaching and learning
creativity
and design with a multidisciplinary perspective

Guy-Alain Amoussou, Steve Steinberg and Eileen Cashman, faculty at
Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA, welcome you to attend the Science
of Design Symposium, March 22-24, 2007, on the HSU campus. The symposium
is an outgrowth of a National Science Foundation grant awarded to the
professors to study and develop ways of teaching creativity and
design to
computer science faculty and students.

The Science of Design is a forward-looking NSF program that anticipates
revolutionary advances in technology. Such innovation requires new
ways of
designing systems that rely on computer programs to function. Learning
about design and the design process, traditionally seen as the domain of
the arts, architecture and related fields, will bring to light these new
approaches to building our future technologies.

At HSU, the professors are approaching the need for innovation in how
technology is developed by looking at how computer scientists are
trained.
This semester we are pilot-testing a curriculum for teaching creativity
and design to computer science students, said Dr. Steinberg. We look
forward to a focused discussion of the curriculum during the Symposium,

The professors encourage people with a wide range of expertise -
technology experts and innovators, designers, artists, etc. - to
participate in the Science of Design Symposium because the goal is to
build an interdisciplinary, diverse group that together can find a
way to
teach design and creativity in computer science.

Professor Nigel Cross, a leading international figure in the world of
design research, is the keynote speaker. His talk is titled "Creative
Thinking in Design" and is open to the public as well as to Symposium
participants. Cost for the talk, scheduled for 8:00 p.m., March 22, is
$10, $5 for students.

The Science of Design Symposium runs from Thursday, March 22 through
Saturday, March 24, 2007. Early-bird registration ($125) runs through
March 1, 2007. To learn more about the Symposium topics and schedule and
to register, look online at www.humboldt.edu/~sod.

For more information about the Science of Design research project,
contact
Dr. Guy-Alain Amoussou or Dr. Steve Steinberg at sod at humboldt.edu.