[OSGeo-Discuss] any suggestion of GIS magazine?

Jeff Thurston thurston at t-online.de
Wed Feb 21 01:22:42 PST 2007

Hi folks,

Thank all of you for your responses.

Michael, it looks like this is shaping up to where you become the
'point person'. This helps because I will need one person as the
contact source to keep everything 'on the same page' so to speak.
That means I will interact with you as OSGeo rep for the column ok?

To answer a few questions and add some useful points:

1) A column in our magazine is 1 page in length. An example is here
http://www.geoconnexion.com/uploads/kevinpomfret_intv6i1.pdf
Total number of words is about 800. It can be less but not more. If
you wish to add an image, then shoot for around 600 words.  Try to
include the writer's pic at 300 dpi and their affiliation and email -
this lets readers identify with the person writing and provides a
point of contact.

2) Images are a big issue for hardcopy print, especially computer
images because they are only 72 dpi usually. Print quality is 300
dpi. That means 300 pixels per square inch for the print process.
Most screen captures are reduced to 1/5th their original size when
printed - usually causing us to throw them out because they represent
the content poorly. Stretching a 72 dpi image to resize it means one
still ends up with a 72 dpi image, only bigger. Please aim for 300
dpi if submitting images.

3) Content - My policy is to support expression. Someone writes it,
I'll support it. I only edit for spelling, grammar and what I
consider to be outright libelous. The writer should stand behind
their expression. As I mentioned earlier, I am not a programmer. I
need your help to peer review programming content (which is why the
'contact point' ) will work well. Ultimately everything in the column
will reflect on OSGeo. It's your column, you choose the content. Our
Media Pack describes Themes for issues by edition throughout the
year. I use these as a guidline.

4) Reprint - I am a supporter of the creator maintaining all rights.
Whomever submits material owns it as far as I am concerned. All I ask
is that we have first right to print (we compete on the basis
originality). Once printed, you may do whatever you wish with the
material, you own it. We usually archive it online and columns are
available for distribution online. Since hardcopy prints are a fixed
cost, they can be purchased if anyone wants a few hundred. I don't
know the cost, a marketing person can help if needed. Our Media Pack is here
http://www.geoconnexion.com/downloads/media_pack2007.pdf

5) Timeline - I am usually working 90-100 days ahead of time. Be
aware that there is delay in hardcopy and get material in early. On
the flip side, we publish our articles to online almost immedately
after hardcopy production.

I like your first column idea. Let me know if you have any questions
and I will try to answer.

I look forward to your first column!

All the best,

jeff

Jeff Thurston, Editor
GEOconnexion International Magazine
Berlin, Germany
49.30.24.04.98.90
www.geoconnexion.com

Done! -- see
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GeoConnexion_Column>http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GeoConnexion_Column
-- so far we have ChrisH and Dan.

Jeff, what sort of word count did you have in mind?

It would probably make sense to have the first column be about what
open source means, who OSGeo is, quick bullet list of what projects
we have, etc. I can cover that one (unless the wordcount is too high :-)

-mpg