[OSGeo-Discuss] New Project.

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Feb 28 16:43:54 PST 2007

Hi Bob ...

I should have said that was my take on the OSGeo policy, hopefully
someone (Frank) will correct me if I misled you anywhere.

Personally, I think it is important to have some diversity and
exploration into new approaches to solving some of these problems.
That being said, there aren't many ways to write Zoom In and it would
be nice if we (as an OS community) wrote it once and then just used
the darn thing.  Then an organization like yours could focus on
solving their specific problems without having to worry about how to
drag-pan a map image (for instance).  Sophisticated data discovery
and layer controls would be an excellent example of something that
could be added to a project like OpenLayer or MapBuilder.

I am actually horribly guilty of not taking the time to look at
existing stuff and building on top of it.  One problem is often that
it seems difficult to develop sufficient knowledge of an existing
code base (say MapBuilder) to make it feasible to add new
functionality.  Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned in here
somewhere?

Anyway, this all makes for a good discussion :)

Cheers

Paul

PS the link you sent didn't work in Safari?  It did work in FireFox
though.