[OSGeo-Discuss] Fw: Re: New Google Mapping Patent

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Jan 9 15:14:05 EST 2007

I would like to strongly second Michael's comments, having spent a lot
of time on patent issues myself (it appears that I'm an engineer who can
communicate well with lawyers <g>).  It is indeed very common to have
folks misread or over-generalize a patent and then conclude that there's
plenty of prior art, when in fact the claimed invention may indeed be
quite novel when understood correctly.

I don't have time to look into these patents right now, but a quick
glance at the "serving tiled images" patent seems to show that it
focuses more specifically on (a) generating tiled images from VECTOR
data (not raster) and (b) on the generation process rather than the
serving process.  I'm not suggesting those claims should be valid or
invalid, but the proper understanding of a patent's claims is a tricky
business.  Remember that patents are for SPECIFIC inventions, so GENERAL
descriptions of them are almost certainly misleading!

     - Ed