[OSGeo-Discuss] standard for pushing data from GPS device to a web service

Rich Gibson rich.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 17:55:33 EST 2007

Following up on Paulo, it would be 'trivial' to write a little glue to
get position from gpsd, and then send it up to your web service (so
trivial it is left as an excercise for the reader :-)

I think using a globally unique id to identify each gps unit would be
fine.  Also, SOAP is probably great, but I always have trouble with it
and prefer RESTful interfaces.  But it would be easy enough to have
multiple web service interfaces which talk to the same data store.

I've been working on a project to create a service to manage time,
place, and tag information for arbitrary items (hence the guid), and
then to provide useful functions for dealing with that stored data.
If anyone is interested in talking about that I'd love to collaborate.

Regards,
Rich

On 1/15/07, Paulo Marcondes <paulomarcondes at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/1/13, Anton Martchukov <diffusion at martchukov.com>:
> > Hello List,
> >
> > We had no GPS/GIS experience previously, but after some
> > research, we found NMEA protocol that may be used for this
> > at some way, but it's proprietary and so is not suitable for
> > open systems.
> >

> Check GPSd, it may suit the handling of several GPS devices.
> http://gpsd.berlios.de
>
> --
> Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX
> -22.915 -42.224 = GG86jc
> Debian GNU/Linux = http://rj.debianbrasil.org = http://www.debian.org
> http://www.kombato.org - Seja seu próprio guarda-costas

Truth in Email disclosure: I get way too many spams and silly email.
In that mess I can miss the email pearls that are sent to me.  My
apologies if I fail to reply-please ping me again if you feel a reply
is in order!  I want to be in communication, I'm just suffering the
'modern disease' of managing a dicey signal to noise ratio.

Rich Gibson
Chief Scientist, Locative Technologies
http://mappinghacks.com
http://geocoder.us