[OSGeo-Discuss] standard for pushing data from GPS device to a web service

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Jan 21 19:25:49 EST 2007

Anton,

If I may ask a very basic question, What is driving the requirement for
a GPS unique id? It seems to me it would be much easier to do something
like:

1) have a user sign-up for the service and generate a unique id for them.
2) whatever software that is implementing the interface between the GPS
and server, requires you to enter the unique id created at sign up.

If you have multiple servers that can generate unique ids and you need
them to be globally unique, then have each server in the network have a
unique key that is part of the unique id generated for the GPS as sign up.

Also, I have multiple GPS units that I use in different scenarios, why
do you care which GPS I happen to be using. I have a tracking GPS that
is setup to record a track point every 1/10th mile and is capable of
running for 3000 miles before I need to download and clear the track
log. While this is not a real-time tracking application, up loading the
track log after the fact might be a valid use case.

Anyway, sounds like an interesting idea.

-Steve