[OSGeo-Discuss] Fw: Re: New Google Mapping Patent

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Jan 9 09:23:00 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:47:01PM -0200, Paulo Marcondes wrote:
> 2007/1/9, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>:
> >Jo Walsh wrote:
> >>    * Visually-oriented driving directions in digital mapping system
> >>    * Combined map scale and measuring tool
> >
> >I don't know how to comment it. I'm in shock!
> >It seems there is no way to stop this "crazy" race of patents.
> >

> I guess is up to the guys in the US to show prior art, at least they
> are in a position to file the relevant  docs.
>
> Autodesk should be quite aware of that, since they have software in that
> niche.
>

> Also, does not UMN Mapserver predates google on this?

I'm not aware of any web interface which sent requests for batches of
tiles before Google Maps. The ones I'm aware of now are:
 * OpenLayers, originally started working on around Where 2.0 1
 * ka-Map, started around the same time -- after February 2005 (patent)
 * MapGuide, I think, which has tile batch requests
 * I've heard info about ESRI's new stuff doing the same thing.

So, as far as the first claim of the patent that Google was granted
("Digital Mapping Service" or whatever), I'm not aware of anything that
predates their patent application in Feb 2005. I certainly know that it
seemed novel to everyone when it came out.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer