[OSGeo-Discuss] Fw: Re: New Google Mapping Patent

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 9 12:07:08 PST 2007

Paulo Marcondes wrote:
> OSGeo could also start talking with PUBPAT, and its interested members
> join the effort by Groklaw(?) - building a comprehensive prior art
> database.

Paulo,

I think that interested geospatial folks (open source and proprietary)
working with PUBPAT or some similar patent prior art efforts would be
quite reasonable whether OSGeo takes an explicit position on it or not.

> Some links for your entertaining:
> http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=20050402193202442#maboutpatent

Wow, a lot of material on the groklaw page!

>> Note, I'm speaking for myself, not on behalf of a consensus position
>> of the
>> foundation.
>
> Shall we pursue consensus on this? May the board consider this
> entering this swamp? Maybe joining with relevant actors?

A good question.  I'm not keen on promoting the issue at the board level
myself.  But the board is also subscribed here, so we will see if anyone
else wants to pick up the issue.

Best regards,