[OSGeo-Discuss] Fw: Re: New Google Mapping Patent

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Tue Jan 9 15:25:08 PST 2007

 Landon Blake wrote:
 > I wonder if the OSGeo could set up a group to review US patent
applications
 > filed for geospatial technologies and applications.
 >
 > I'm not sure how many of these types of patents are filed every week,
but it
 > would be nice to have a group of experts looking over the patent
office's
 > shoulder.
 >
 > Then again, Autodesk might not be too hot about the idea of the OSGeo
 > reviewing its patent applications for geospatial applications.

The best defence against patents is to "publish early, publish often"

In other words, establish a body of prior art in a public forum.

I think OSGEO will do this naturally.

nick

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.