[OSGeo-Discuss] standard for pushing data from GPS device to a web service

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Jan 19 10:04:06 PST 2007

Paulo Marcondes wrote:
> 2007/1/19, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>:
>
>> Unfortunately, I'm pretty GPS unit do not provide anything like
>> unique PRN codes used to identify GPS satellites.
>
> IIRC, at least gpsd provides information on which sats it is seeing
> at each moment, and the NMEA sentences also report this info. Not
> sure on other protos, better ask the gps experts from gpsd.

Paulo,

It's not a problem to identify all satellites in view (using NMEA
sentence GPGSV), and which are actively used to calculate
position (GPGSA). Also vendor specific protocols provide all necessary
information about it.

But above, I'm not talking about identifying satellites,
but identifying GPS receiver unit in global.

BTW, gpsd is a great piece of software but...
"No, we don't support Windows — get a better operating system. "
Also, in my opinion gpsd brings unnecessary components for mobile
solutions, like daemon. Usually, you don't need to use your PDA with
more than one GPS unit.

Talking about solution for mobile devices, I think it's
reasonable to consider development of dedicated solution (NMEA parser +
GPS data reader listening on serial/usb/virtual ports + simple
mapping to usable structures ie. C/C++ types).

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net