[OSGeo-Discuss] standard for pushing data from GPS device to a web service

Anton Martchukov diffusion at martchukov.com
Mon Jan 22 09:34:02 PST 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 07:25:49PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> If I may ask a very basic question, What is driving the requirement for
> a GPS unique id? It seems to me it would be much easier to do something
> like:
>
> 1) have a user sign-up for the service and generate a unique id for them.
> 2) whatever software that is implementing the interface between the GPS
> and server, requires you to enter the unique id created at sign up.

Yes, the idea that id should be unique was proposed on this
list. We did not think about this at first time. We will
just make the user a way to program GPS/network device
and specify a login/password for it. Than user will go to
the web interface of the server he wants to push data into
and register this login/password pair there. Those should be
enough, imho.

> Anyway, sounds like an interesting idea.

For me too, but I cannot imagine yet when such a global id
maybe useful. We will contact GPS people, if they would
recall something like MAC/ID already exustsing in GPS units,
than it's nice one for login. If not, than we probably do
not need to invent such id ourselves, that's what I think at
this step, correct me if I am wrong.

--
Anton Martchukov                     http://www.martchukov.com
0xFC4FBF28  96BC 3DAB 231A 7FCC 4F49  D783 9A69 65C1 FC4F BF28