[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGEO & OGC spec development

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 13:17:49 PDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> wrote:

> One of my biggest problems with the OGC is the lack of a practical
> membership avenue for open source projects and/or programmers. I think it
> would be great if the OSGeo or some of its participating projects could
> serve as a vehicle that would allow for more participation by the open
> source community in OGC standard development.

 I know form previous discussions wearing my GeoTools hat that you
have to be a legally constituted body to join the OGC, having a
mailing list, web site and SVN wasn't enough which is why GeoTools
never became a member (even though a majority of our developers are
members). I guess that OSGeo could become a member if the board
thought that paying the money was worth it.

You could also just attend the meetings as a non-member as Paul Ramsey
does sometimes, or just ask some of us who do go to meetings to make
your points for you.

Ian

--

Ian Turton