[OSGeo-Discuss] make software; Let the OGC do the standards sideof it

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Wed Jul 18 12:06:53 PDT 2007

While I too have no desire to see OSGeo to become a formal standards
body, I do want us to provide a "safe haven" for future work that could
not be done via OGC (GeoRSS and TMS being two possible past examples).
And by safe haven, I don't necessarily mean a formal committee; what I
do mean is access to diverse community thought, wiki/mailing-list
namespace, development testbeds (likely underneath existing member
projects), etc.

On technical, moral, and financial grounds, there remain good reasons
why OGC is not the proper place for some of the work some of us may do
in the future.

Thus, I'm +1 for "standards at osgeo.org", which would serve as a
clearinghouse and announce-list for the above (and below) topics.
Subsidiary lists could be created as bandwidth/interest requires, e.g.
tms-wonks at osgeo.com.

We're probably all saying much of the same things here, and we could
probably quickly draft a wiki page for a statement of principles.
Although I'd love to see more discussion on this, maybe a FOSS4G BOF.

-mpg