[OSGeo-Discuss] Software Standards - The Ugly Truth

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Fri Jun 22 12:19:17 EDT 2007

I'm sending this to GeoWanking and OSGeo discuss, so I apologize in
advance if your inbox gets hit with it twice. :]

I've written a blog post on the OpenJUMP blog about some of the
problems with software standards.

I imagine this post will make some people upset, but I think it raises
some valid points. I don't think that everyone involved in open source
GIS will agree with me, but I think I identify some problems with the
love of standards that our of particular interest to our community.
(In a way that isn't of interest to those that develop closed-source
GIS programs.)

At any rate, the post is a long one, so if you do read it give
yourself 5 or 10 minutes. Before you flame me remember that I'm just a
surveyor that has seen too much sun, and that my opinion doesn't count
for a whole lot in the big scheme of things. :]

You can read the post here:

http://openjump.blogspot.com/

The Sunburned Surveyor

Warning: