[OSGeo-Discuss] 2007 Google Summer of Code (Student Project Ideas List)

Cory Horner chorner at refractions.net
Mon Mar 12 15:15:46 EDT 2007

Landon Blake wrote:
> [1] The name of the Student Project Idea.

This is nice, but students are allowed to submit their own ideas too --
the wiki page is more of a brainstorming session than a clear-cut list.

> [2] The mentor that will be assigned to the project if it is accepted by
> Google. I think we want something definite here. Not “possible mentor”
> or “suggested mentor”. I think the projects need to get this nailed down.

I disagree that we should go through the process of choosing a
definitive mentor for say 10 ideas, when only one will likely be
selected.  This is not coherent with how things were done last year, nor
how the selection process functions; the students will be submitting
proposals to us for things they want to do -- ideas really are just
ideas.  If we spell things out too clearly we won't be able to tell
which students know what they are talking about.

> [4] The contact information for a person the student can talk to for
> more information about a Student Project Idea.

Yes!

We do have some leeway here, as google won't be looking at the ideas
pages right away.

Cory.