[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4G 2007 Workshop Submission

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 29 12:35:28 EDT 2007

On 28-Mar-07, at 10:36 PM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:

> Thank you for your information. I have to say I find that pretty
> frustrating and annoying knowing that GeoNetwork opensource is one
> of the incubator projects of OSGEO, the number of OSGEO projects is
> (still) limited and FOSS4G is the OSGEO conference.
>
> Participating with the project in OSGEO has multiple reasons, one
> of them being that it provides opportunities to work on synergies
> and work on marketing the OSGEO software stack. Now how does the
> intent of OSGEOs mission fit with refusing a (single) workshop on
> one of its projects. Maybe I miss something, but I'd assumed there
> was at least some kind of a relation!?

There are some other nuances to the argument that have been somewhat
buried.  During the past debate about what to name the conference
(FOSS4G vs OSGeo Conference), there was very strong interest in
keeping the conference much broader than only OSGeo projects - hence
the re-use of the FOSS4G name, to show it was not just OSGeo.  Had
the committee chosen to give OSGeo projects a priority, then many of
the folks from the historic FOSS4G (and other) conferences would have
felt usurped.  Now if it was not called FOSS4G perhaps that
constraint would be less of a concern.

Also, if a majority of workshops ended up being for OSGeo projects,
then this would really only be an "outward facing" event - marketing
outside of our known group of users/members.  By having other
projects represented in workshops, it provides our community
opportunities to learn about other projects outside the normal fold.

That said, with my marketing hat on, I'd love to see all OSGeo
projects get a priority in workshop submissions.  How would this look
from year to year?  Does it just become same old projects doing same
old presentations year after year?  Or would we only give newly
joined projects from the last year the opportunity to showcase in a
workshop?  Better yet, how about projects that have recently
graduated from incubation!  Then there is some more incentive to get
through it.  Now I think we're on to something....

Tyler