[OSGeo-Discuss] Charter Member Elections

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 15 13:40:48 PDT 2007

Jason Birch wrote:
> FrankW wrote:
>
>> It has been our intention for some time to "regularize"
>> a plan for new charter members [snip]
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Membership_Process
>
> I'm happy with most of this, but would prefer not to fix the number of
> new members (at 15 or whatever).
>
> Would it be reasonable to provide a range, and allow the board to decide
> on the number of new inductees each year?
>
> I was thinking of something like:  10-30% of current number of members

Jason,

I will happily admit to picking the new member quantity quite arbitrarily.
What do you think are the benefits of flexibility with the board deciding?

I really don't know how to decide what is a good number of charter members.
On the one hand, broadening the charter membership makes it easier to
get representation for a diversity of projects and geographic areas.  It
also increases the number of people who will perceive themselves as more
involved in OSGeo.

On the other hand, I worry that we might end up "watering down" the
charter membership if we start adding a lot of people who aren't really
very committed to the objectives of the organization.

I'm a bit at a loss as to how to deal with this, but I know I don't
want complete stasis.

Best regards,