[OSGeo-Discuss] Charter Member Elections

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 15 14:44:11 PDT 2007

Dave Patton wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Membership_Process
>
> A)
> Under "Nominations", point #6 is redundant,
> given point #1.

Dave,

Good point, #6 removed.

> B)
> One week of Nominations + 1 week of Voting may
> rule out participation, as a voter or nominee,
> by anyone who is on vacation for 2 or more weeks.
> The effects of this could be lessened by establishing
> a set date that is used every year for the nomination/
> voting process, so that people could know in advance
> if there will be unable to participate, and, at least
> for the voting, designate a proxy.

I would agree that some earlier notice would be desirable.
I'm not sure whether I would want to peg down exactly when
though.

> C)
> If the wording were changed to:
>  Each year additional charter members are nominated and
>  elected by the OSGeo charter members, in a process operated
>  by the Chief Returning Officer (CRO). The number of additional
>  charter members to be nominated and elected is determined for
>  each year by the OSGeo Board at the Annual General Meeting.
> and then change the other text to not use "fifteen", then
> if this gets "baked in", it leaves things more flexible.

It isn't clear at this time that there is such a thing
as an annual general meeting.  We could certainly leave it
open to the board to decide on the number of new charter
members, but I'm not sure what criteria should be used
in picking a number.

> D)
> Under "Voting", this:
>  Charter members may apply all their votes to a single
>  person or distribute them in integral amounts over
>  multiple candidates.
> conflicts with this:
>  Once complete the CRO tallies votes and the 15 new
>  charter membership are assigned to the candidates
>  with the most votes
> because there is no guarantee that, collectively, the
> votes will be distributed to 15 (or more) nominees.
> (Or, even that there were 15 nominees to start with)

Do you think we need to specify obvious edge cases,
like what to do if there are less than 15 nominations?
We could put in place some minimum number of votes
for someone to become a charter member.

Best regards,