[OSGeo-Discuss] Promoting freely available geodata

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Mar 28 07:34:26 PDT 2007

>>  Do we need something like OSI approved licenses for geodata?
> There are at least 2 parallel efforts to establish an equivalent
> definition at the same level as "OSI compliance" for open data:
> http://www.opendefinition.org/
> http://www.freedomdefined.org/

Creative Commons also has a FAQ about applying their licenses to data:

http://sciencecommons.org/resources/faq/databases.html

My meeting with them got rescheduled to this Friday.  They're planning
on updating the faq soon, so I'm going to ask them lots of geodata
questions and hopefully they'll incorporate some of that in to the new
faq.  I have a few questions to ask, but if anyone has specific
questions or use cases, feel free to forward to me.

Chris

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project