[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4G 2007 Workshop Submission

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Thu Mar 29 09:45:33 PDT 2007

I've seen a lot of workshops and conferences over the years, both geo
and non-geo: tradeoffs have to be made when organizing these things, and
in the end Paul and his team will not be able to satisfy everyone.

To take just four questions off the top of my head:

  * Would you rather attend 6 half-hour talks covering a
    variety of different topics, or 1 three-hour in-depth talk?

  * Would you rather have commercial sponsorship, or leave
    it completely independent and self-funded?

  * Would you rather have more space for exhibitors and booths,
    or more space for big (100+) talks, or more space for small
    (20+) talks?

  * Would you rather have attendees be from the core open source
    geo development community, or from the potential user community?

I suspect most of us would answer "some of each" to those questions, and
it is the job of the organizing committee to figure out that balance.
The organizing committee, chosen by a RFP process, was tasked with this
difficult job and they're already deep into it.

Talk has already started about making proposals for FOSS4G '08; I'd
strongly encourage everyone to participate in those discussions.

-mpg