[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4G 2007 Workshop Submission

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 29 16:06:47 PDT 2007

Jody Garnett wrote:
> I was sad *not* to do some developer focused workshops. I am a developer
> and frankly I need more developers on the different open source projects
> I am involved with. I would like nothing more then to set up a workshop
> to inspire and involve new contributors in lots of 40.

Folks,

I'd like to raise (re-raise?) that we are planning to have some facilities
available Friday for coding sprints, hack-a-thons, or similar activities
by projects.  My hope for the GDAL project is to treat this as more of
a hack-a-thon (loosely collaberation) with an opportunity for developers
who want to learn about GDAL getting involved, as well as existing hard
core GDAL hackers.

I believe the conference planners expect to provide tables, chairs,
power and internet connectivity.  Projects should bring laptops, energy,
and ideas.

I think the Friday code-sprint / hack-a-thon day may be the best part of
the conference for developers like me.

I'm also hoping with different projects nearby it will be a good day for
inter-project efforts.

> As for any play time with developers (new and old) I am saving my
> energies for the code sprint.

Doh!  I see Jody already mentioned this.   Oh well, consider this
amplification!

Best regards,