[OSGeo-Discuss] idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

blammo bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Tue Nov 13 11:07:21 EST 2007

All,

My two cents worth . . . .

Interesting thread, and timely too.  I had a discussion  yesterday
about using SDF as a neutral format.  I'm kinda wondering though what
the end use something like this is intended for.   Is it to store a
dataset by a user of for serving the data via the web or both.
I've come to like the SHP file format especially because it is basic
and is abstracted as much as it is, makes building systems much
easier in the long run.  I also understand that it doesn't quite come
up to snuff when used as a end user storage medium, very cumbersome
and hard to keep track of all the pieces.  I did work with the FME
FFS file type with some good results too, but I don't know if that is
an open format or not.

The FDO stuff is a bit new for me to develop a production service,
although, I'm using it already (transparently) with a AutoCAD/Oracle
update mechanism via  AutoCAD Map.

A single file format would certainly help with User publishing issue
that we're starting to run into, where individuals need to publish
small local area (Project related) datasets and keep them up to date
over a relatively short time, like about a yaer for example, then
they become part of the larger system.

I've also been working with 3D visualization for the last couple of
years, and keep coming back to the best data model to use for the
transport layer, it's currently settled out in our office with a 2D
database, and 3D attributes, but this doesn't seem very extendable
into the future.   A composite data format might have room in it some
of my 3D data as well, even as a derived dataset would be an
acceptable option at this point.

One last piece to this would be styling, it would be real handy to
apply the styling in the composite file as well, both 2d and 3d.  I
mean as long as your going to build something . . .  Although, I
think I may have come close to describing the DWG format here in the
end  :c)

I've tended to use the formats that work the best for the task for
the last few years, and SHP files seem to still be the best for Web
distribution of the data,with a good, highly indexed, server side,
spatial SQL database being next in line.

I would like to hear about intended uses and business problems solved
by using a composite, single file, approach to the data storage.

bobb