[OSGeo-Discuss] idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open, data format

Chip Mefford cmefford at eruditium.org
Tue Nov 13 14:12:13 EST 2007

> From: "P Kishor" <punk.kish at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] idea for an OSGeo project -- a new,	open
> 	data format
> To: "OSGeo Discussions" <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> On 11/13/07, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
>> P Kishor wrote:
>>> So, I am thinking, Shapefile is the de facto data standard for GIS
>>> data.
>>>BIG SNIP

> Having a server-less, self-contained, rdbms-capable format would be the key.

No argument per say.

However, it's my -very much less than- 2 cents worth, that while
this is very useful, I wouldn't do it to the exclusion of
server based, distributed database.

Meaning, that's nice, but if you can't easily transition the
data munging back into a larger shared dataset, then the
utility is somewhat less than optimal.