[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Tue Nov 13 15:23:21 EST 2007

> > Regarding the suggestion that MapServer takes on this new format as
the
> > primary format:  I think this is way beyond the scope of what OSGeo
should
> > be doing.

I agree with bitnerd.  If the MapServer team thinks this is a valuable
and worthwhile format, they will adopt it at some point.  It would not
be unreasonable for them to step back and see how thing progresses
before deciding to spend their valuable ergs on it.  The burden is on
the "OpenShape" people to show the idea is worthwhile and meritorious.

(My two cents on the "standards" question: OSGeo is not a standards
organization, but / however / on the other hand / nonetheless one of the
reasons OSGeo exists is to foster such collaborations.  If some people
want to try and develop something new like this, I'm all in favor of
OSGeo offering mailing list and wiki space to help out.  Declaring this
to be a "standard" effort, however, is probably premature in any case --
more useful at this point to see the idea sketched out further, see
who's interested, etc.)

-mpg