[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Robert Bray rbray at robertbray.net
Wed Nov 14 02:18:42 EST 2007

A little clarification on SDF, since it comes up once or twice in this
thread. Jason's earlier descriptions of it's capabilities are pretty good.
It supports multiple Feature Classes / Tables per file, strongly typed
properties, multiple geometry properties per class, with seperate R-Trees
for each geometry property. All of this is stored in a single file that is
heavily optimized for spatial reads. The SDF FDO Provider suppports a
multiple reader / single writer model. The geometries themselves include
simple features + circular arcs in 2D, 2D with Z, 2D with M, or 2D with Z &
M. The R-Trees are currently 2D.

Is it an open format?  ABSOLUTELY (we just never wrote a spec, but I am
willing to get it done)

Another little known fact is that in the process of creating SDF we
(Autodesk) literally wrote the code three times. The first time we built SDF
on BerkleyDB, a great open source project but it has some fairly significant
license fees for using it in a proprietary product. The second time we wrote
it on SQLite, however the performance penalaty of the Relational layer was
significant (read orders of magnitude). The third time we chose to strip
away the SQLite relational layer and built directly on the SQLite Backend
components (B-Tree, Pager, and OS Interface). In the end the third
implementation actually turned out to be faster than BDB and is the one we
use today.

All this said, I'd really like to understand everyones requirements for this
new format. If SDF fits thats great, if not thats ok too. We are always
happy to contribute what we can to the community.

Bob