[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Nov 14 08:24:54 EST 2007

On 14-Nov-07, at 7:20 AM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

>> - optional coloring and styles, break values, rendering and
>>  scale limits, persistent joins or relates, color ramp, ...
>
> are things which are provided by SLD and the like, which means that
> you
> really want SDF + WMC -- I don't think that this is SDF's job, and I
> don't think that it should be the job of any geodata format.

mapinfo files come with embedded styling so there is at least one
format out there that combines the two.  KML arguably does the same
thing.

I think it would be worth exploring the merits of providing the
ability to embed styling information.  I'm not sure if it is useful to
place styling 'hints' in metadata, assuming that the format supports
arbitrary metadata.

Cheers

Paul