[OSGeo-Discuss] idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Nov 15 16:17:18 EST 2007

Alright,

Here are some other thoughts.

First off what about a open office (open base) type approach... This
mimmics the ESRI MSAccess approach and seams to work well for non server
environments. Also open office is a good environment for some basic
applications.

Next, what ever happened to the adoption of GML... Was GML not supposed
to be the NEXT interchange fomrat?  Perhaps this is a good discussion to
include the GML gurus in. The whole discussion of going with a binary
GML format makes sense and GML is already used for many web mapping
(feature) services. It sounds like a duplication of GML to me... Unless
someone can offer a direct compare and contrast between the concept here
and the GML/Binary GML concept.

In either case being able to convert to and from GML would be a necesity
for wide adoption IMHO.

Another thought is to encourage some of the proprietary formats to open
up. What would it take to get ESRI on board to open up the format (open
as in free speech). What about other non-open standards? Once it's open
then we can bring the SHP format to modern day useage. Surely much of
the format could be salvaged.

Besides, if you want wide adoption of an open format then why not go for
those players who hold greatest market share.

Some thoughts.