[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Nov 21 23:04:23 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 11:18:42PM -0800, Robert Bray wrote:
> Is it an open format?  ABSOLUTELY (we just never wrote a spec, but I am
> willing to get it done)
>
> All this said, I'd really like to understand everyones requirements for
> this new format. If SDF fits thats great, if not thats ok too. We are
> always happy to contribute what we can to the community.

I have an interest in seeing wider implementation of SDF. I have a user
who is interested in using FeatureServer against SDF data -- but I don't
have an environment in which I can build/use the FDO Python bindings
(being a mac user), so I can't help the user out.

It seems more likely that an alternative implementation to FDO's could be
created if documentation on the format was available. Obviously, there's
no guarenteee (and unfortunately, I'm not a very good coder, so I can't
offer much), but I'd at least like to be able to investigate how
difficult SDF might be to implement: not just for my own personal
reasons, but because implementation-difficulty can affect uptake of a
format as much as the technical benefits can (if not more).

so in response to 'I am willing to get it done', I would strongly
encourage you to do so!

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt