[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Thu Nov 22 22:23:00 EST 2007

I think many people have it backwards. SDF is basically a reference implementation of the FDO API (or a significant subset thereof). It's not an independent file format that happens to have an FDO driver. Any C++ API for SDF would likely have to use FDO data structures and types underneath to get SDF data out of the file. This is because FDO data structures are directly serialized into SDF binary tables.

Traian