[OSGeo-Discuss] GIS Data Models

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Fri Nov 30 18:47:15 EST 2007

Landon,

There it goes:

Landon Blake wrote:
> Does anyone know if there has been work on GIS Data Models besides any
> organization other than ESRI?
> (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/geodatabase/about/data-models.html)

There it goes:

SPRING: Integrating Remote Sensing and GIS with Object-Oriented Data
Modelling. G.Câmara, R.Souza, U.Freitas, J.Garrido, F. Ii. *Computers
and Graphics*, vol.15(6):13-22, 1996.

Note: Ivan Lucena on page 15 is me.

> However, this material is definitely written for a user of ESRI
> software. It is possible to extract basic principles from the material
> ESRI produces on data models, although this can be difficult given the
> amount of software specific content.

Sure.

> Has there been any effort by the open source community to develop GIS
> Data Models? (By a GIS Data Model I mean a template or set of guidelines
> for one or more thematic layers and the features they contain as these
> layers apply to a particular application. For example: Agriculture)

Just as an example, using that software above mentioned I once developed
a Data Model for research in Precision Agriculture. Basically what you
do is given a source of datasets in the real word, like Geological Map
or Altimetry you take the class that best represent it, like "Thematic"
or "Numeric" and you give it a name and symbology appropriated for your
application domain. You do that previous to the data acquisition and you
can use the schema you used in several different projects.

Note: The physical data storage is trick tough, by the concept of
multi-representation you can have in a database one single Thematic
layer represented by vector and/or raster. For Numeric layers is even
tricker, it could have Vector (contour map, triangular grid, 3D points)
or Raster (regular grid) for the same "Layer". How does it sounds? I
never rear of any other software that does that. Have you?

> I am starting work on a data model for Survey Control as part of my
> efforts at the SurveyOS Project and at my day job. As part of this work
> I would like to develop some tutorials and templates for data model
> design that could be used by others in the FOSS GIS arena. These data
> model patterns will focus on “vendor-neutral” GIS design. I hope to work
> on other data models as the years pass, and most of these will be survey
> related.

You can play if that software to get some ideas but it is not exactly
the "neutral" solution you want:

http://www.dpi.inpe.br/spring/english/index.html

> I am curious if there has been work like this done before. For example,
> I’ll need to define some abstract data types for Feature attributes that
> could be “mapped” to various software platforms and/or programming
> languages.

Again, Not exactly. It answers you first question but not the second one.

> Any thoughts?

It is certainly a cool topic. :)

Ivan