[OSGeo-Discuss] idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Nov 13 07:42:12 PST 2007

Puneet,

You wrote: "Is this too crazy?"

I don't think this idea is crazy at all. In fact, I think it is a very
good idea. I do have a couple of comments, which you can read below:

You wrote: "What if we came up with a new and improved data format --
call it
"Open Shapefile" (extension .osh)..."

I think we would have to completely avoid the term "Shapefile" as it is
probably an ESRI trademark.

You wrote: " that would be completely Free,
single-file based (instead of the multiple .shp, .dbf, .shx, etc..."

Is there a problem with a multiple file format? I have tinkered with
some different binary file formats, and it seems that separating some
information in a spatial data set (like indexes, for example) makes it
easier to create programs that parse and write the format.

You wrote: " ...and based on SQLite, giving the .osh format complete
relational data
handling capabilities."

I would prefer tightly integrating any software package, even if it was
FOSS, into a new data format. SQLite is written in the C programming
language, as an example, and that doesn't do me a lot of good as a Java
programmer. Tightly integrating a Java library or program wouldn't do
much good for a programmer using C. That is the real beauty of an open
file format: If it is designed properly your programming language
doesn't matter!

I did a little brainstorming for a binary file format that could replace
Shapefiles. Its called BOFF, or Binary Open Feature Format. I talked
over small bits of the design for BOFF with Frank Wammerdam, who
expressed some small interest in it at the time.

Perhaps it would offer some ideas?

I'd be very interesting in offering Java support for a shapefile
replacement endorsed by the OSGeo.

The Sunburned Surveyor