[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W - Binary Windows Installer - in development

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 13 13:18:17 PST 2007

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> This is to announce that work has begun on what is being named the
> "OSGeo4W" installer.  To keep this announcement email short, please see
> its Wiki page for more installer details
> (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Win32_Installer).  Also, a new
> mailing list has been created, osgeo4w-dev (join at
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev), so let's use that
> list for further discussions please (no need for a long thread on the
> discuss list).
>
> Consider this an invitation to all foss4g software maintainers to jump
> on board and assist in the creation of this much needed windows
> installer (currently windows users need to know where to get FWTools,
> MS4W, QuantumGIS, PostGIS, winGRASS, GeoServer....and the list goes
> on...*and* each contains their own build of shared libraries like GDAL).
>  If you are interested as a foss4g maintainer, to start please login to
> that wiki page and add your name to the 'Participants' section.
>
> One thing is for sure, this is a huge task so it is clearly going to
> require involvement from lots of communities.  So please jump on board!

Folks,

To add a bit of context, OSGeo4W is essentially an effort to broaden
the existing MS4W efforts to many OSGeo projects, and to provide a slicker
package oriented GUI.  It is my hope that this will become the official
OSGeo software packaging for windows, eventually becoming a full fledged
OSGeo project.

Jeff has some funding to work on this - hopefully sufficient to get some
of the core aspects working smoothly, but what packages actually make it
into the distribution (beyond his requirements from the MS4W point of view)
will depend on who else gets involved.

Best regards,