[OSGeo-Discuss] idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Luis W. Sevilla cresques at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 11:08:08 PST 2007

Hi,
  +1 for GML with BXML encoding as next open standard. GML 3.* with his
ability to be 'profiled' seems to be on the base of  almost all and
every OGC norm being proposed on last 2-3 years. As Rob Atkinson said to
me, BXML may be an encoding for GML, in a way no standard needs to be
modifyed to support this encoding, only implementors must add support to it.
    At gvSIG we're currently working both on a low level library for
reading and writing GML 3.* + other GML alike formats, disacopled of
our object model, and a java port of this cubewerx BXML encoder/decoder.
We hope to release early results by the end of 1st term next year.
    Maybe the way of push the standard (both OGC and ISO) it's by simply
implement parsers and writers, and use it a widely as possible.

    greetings
       Luis
Paul Spencer wrote:

> Cubewerx created a binary XML implementation that is open source.
> They claim substantial benefits, so perhaps GML plus a binary XML
> library could be an alternative?
>
> http://www.cubewerx.com/web/guest/bxml
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul
>
> On 15-Nov-07, at 5:21 PM, Lucena, Ivan wrote:
>
>> Sampson,
>>
>> I am not a GML guru and I don't know if a binary version exists
>> already, but I would imagine that HDF5 would be a excellent choice
>> by its own hierarchical nature. I mean, we can use GML as a schema
>> to store the data in binary format in the HDF5 format.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> Sampson, David wrote:
>>
>>> Alright,
>>> Here are some other thoughts.
>>> First off what about a open office (open base) type approach... This
>>> mimmics the ESRI MSAccess approach and seams to work well for non
>>> server
>>> environments. Also open office is a good environment for some basic
>>> applications.
>>> Next, what ever happened to the adoption of GML... Was GML not
>>> supposed
>>> to be the NEXT interchange fomrat?  Perhaps this is a good
>>> discussion to
>>> include the GML gurus in. The whole discussion of going with a binary
>>> GML format makes sense and GML is already used for many web mapping
>>> (feature) services. It sounds like a duplication of GML to me...
>>> Unless
>>> someone can offer a direct compare and contrast between the concept
>>> here
>>> and the GML/Binary GML concept.
>>> In either case being able to convert to and from GML would be a
>>> necesity
>>> for wide adoption IMHO.
>>> Another thought is to encourage some of the proprietary formats to
>>> open
>>> up. What would it take to get ESRI on board to open up the format
>>> (open
>>> as in free speech). What about other non-open standards? Once it's
>>> open
>>> then we can bring the SHP format to modern day useage. Surely much of
>>> the format could be salvaged.
>>> Besides, if you want wide adoption of an open format then why not
>>> go for
>>> those players who hold greatest market share.
>>> Some thoughts.
>>> into .osh for native rendering. Its adoption would be quick in the