[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Nov 22 18:23:08 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 05:17:46PM -0800, Traian Stanev wrote:
> How about an OGR driver for SDF? No need to invent a new API when one already exists.

I think that was exactly Bob's point: There is already an FDO driver for
SDF. If OGR is sufficient, I'm not entirely sure why FDO wouldn't be by
the same argument.

I'm with Mat, in feeling that it's not the path to the widest usage in
only FDO *or* OGR, and that a reference implementation outside of either
of those would result in possibly higher OEM-style integration into non
OGR/FDO products, and that a single shared implementation is the best
way for all developers to share a single effort when moving forward.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer