[OSGeo-Discuss] Supporting new projects

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:35:22 PDT 2007

I'm +1 for OSGeo Labs. It would be a good holding place for projects
waiting to go into incubation and for new projects to meet and
collaborate with each other.

The key elements of OSGeo Labs are:
1. Labs draws minimal overhead from the OSGeo community. Ie, provide
hosting, but not mentoring.
2. There is an entrance criteria list for OSGeo Labs which ensures that
the project has a goal of becoming an incubation OSGeo project and
therefore should be Open Source, Geospatial, etc.
3. The decision for accepting a project into Labs should be delegated to
a committee (which should be one person but could be more). Aim is to
keep the management overhead low.
4. OSGeo Board reserves the right to remove projects from Labs if the
project dies or is not following OSGeo values.

I suggest that OSGeo Incubation Committee hold a meeting to vote on this.
Do we have a volunteer to draft the first version of "Entrance Criteria
and Guidelines for OSGeo Labs"? You should be able to draw a lot from
the Incubation process.

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au