Marketing (was: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Supporting new projects)

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Oct 4 23:02:11 PDT 2007

Hi,
good thread.

On Wed, October 3, 2007 03:50, nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au
wrote:
>> Bruce
>> IMO:
>>

>> I'd caution against watering down the OSGeo 'brand' as a source of
>> 'quality' products, particularly if we want the products accepted as a
>> viable alternative within larger organisations.

Ack!

>> While it is good to provide pointers to projects of interest, there
>> needs to be a clear separation of what is an OSGeo project and what is
>> not. I think that it is acceptable to have certain hurdles that a
>> project has to pass in order to be accepted into the OSGeo fold.
>
> Could there be a series of tiers?

I think they are all there yet, but not well enough discernible yet (the
Marketing Committee chair does not really do a good job currently).

> The first tier could have a low barrier of entry, with low support
> provided, plus little-or-no promotion as being of the OSGeo 'brand'.

This is an OSGeo Wiki page. It is open to the public, go hack it. One of
Wikipedia's early mantras was "Be Bold". This should apply to the OSGeo
Wiki too. Julien's page http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Labs is a
organizing point. I suggest making it a Category (easier to structure and
find later more difficult to get people to add it to the Wiki page early
on...).

> A project could work its way through the tiers, and incidentally through
> the incubation process, and be rewarded with more support from OSGeo along
>  the way.

That is the Incubation process, it is fairly well defined and also working
so so. We are still in the learning process but that is fine by me as it
is a long term thing.

> The final tier would include, amongst other things, recognition on the
> OSGeo home page.
>

> nick

Also correct. But right from the start we published all projects
indiscriminately because there was no distinction. Currently there is
still practically no distinction between incubating and graduated projects
becasue at first only lightweights graduated. This lack is again caused in
parts by bad marketing but also because projects don't really care. There
are no incentives to graduate. I am at a loss what to do about that and
open for suggestions.

Feeding on this extraordinary creative thread I am inclined to rephrase
Paul's question and ask how to improve "Supporting old projects" (which is
my job as marketing chair).

Best regards,

--
Arnulf Benno Christl