[OSGeo-Discuss] Govt involvement in FOSS4G

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Oct 8 18:59:57 PDT 2007

Hi all,

In planning our bid for the '09 conf, the Aust-NZ chapter (in formation)
is looking at how we can maximise the value of the conf to Govt
attendees.  In talking to govt people here in Aust, and following
comments on this list in the past, it seems govt people have a harder
time than necessary getting to the conf.  I'd like suggestions as to how
we can maximise the value proposition for govt attendance at future
conf's.

One of the ideas we are looking at is having a Govt only panel session
during the conf that looks at issues typically faced by govt bodies
implementing GeoFOSS solutions and enabling sharing of experiences and
expertise.

One of the things we want to help avoid, is the view that the conf is
nothing more than a junket for govt employees, at least as far as senior
management is concerned.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,
Tim Bowden