[OSGeo-Discuss] How to assess rendering quality?

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Wed Oct 10 07:26:26 PDT 2007

Antialiasing, when done wrong is just "making the edges intermediate colors".

When done right it also involves subpixel positioning which improves not only the visual appearance but also the relative accuracy of lines -- i.e. visual weight is most correctly distributed over exact position of the line given the discrete sampling frequency (pixels). There is actually solid scientific basis in that (Niquist-Shannon theorem). "Sharpness of detail" in non-AA lines is fake accuracy.

Unfortunately antialiasing is also hard to get right, because it depends on gamma correction. For example compare the antialiased output here (http://www.realtimerendering.com/gamma10.png with gamma = 1.0) and here with gamma 2.2 (http://www.realtimerendering.com/gamma22.png). They are both antialiased using the same algorithm, yet one looks better than the other.

Asking people to compare smooth versus sharp will be sensitive not only to the subjective appeal of the picture, but also by the ambient lighting conditions, the gamma used by the AA algorithm versus the gamma of the monitor used for the test, and by whether or not the AA algorithm used subpixel positioning. Also, it depends on whether the image reading application honors the gamma value stored in the image. In addition, you will get "fanboy bias" where people will prefer the output they have seen before. This comes up with things like font glyph rasterization surveys, where people who are more familiar with Macs prefer blurry but correct glyphs while people who use predominantly Windows prefer sharp but deformed glyphs, only because that's what they are used to seeing. So you will need to have lots of questions that ask for the same thing using screenshots that do not say which product they are from. You should also include output from a third party app like Adobe Acrobat. I would also include test questions where the two images being compared are identical.

Traian