[OSGeo-Discuss] packaging FOSS GIS for Ubuntu in education

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Thu Oct 25 23:29:52 PDT 2007

While Venka is on the topic of packaging FOSS GIS for Ubuntu, I'd like
to put a niche request / challenge to the community.

High schools in South Africa and elsewhere need a FOSS alternative to
use and teach GIS, which is a compulsory part of the syllabus from this
year. FOSS GIS at present is too inaccessible. My challenge is to have a
packaged CD for Ubuntu to launch at FOSS4G2008 in Cape Town. This CD (or
DVD) would have:

-one-click installation for Linux, Windows or Mac.
-Integrated software stack so teachers and learners have to launch a
minimal number of applications
-Simplified and customised GUIs to lower the entry threshold.
	-for teachers to teach curriculum requirements of GIS
	-for teachers to use GIS to teach geography and other subjects
	-for learners to use for hands-on work
-Free, integrated global and local data package
-excellent documentation
-framework for local contributors to structure and contribute exercises,
lessons, etc.
-central website for resources
-possible advanced options for network deployment, more sophisticated
users, 'computer studies' learners (i.e. developers), school web map
services, etc.

Any takers?

Gavin