[OSGeo-Discuss] Scope of OSGeo Legal Support

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Wed Oct 31 11:06:54 PDT 2007

Hi Cameron; I am catching up on these threads ... it seems a lot of them
are often in private email.

Your proposal is indeed where we want to be; the problem with planning
(especially when there is money involved) is that we all get stuck in
risk management mode and do not want to say much for fear of it costing
cold hard cash.

It looks like (since OSGeo is a non profit) that there is a range of
organizations willing to donate us some legal time and advice. I
recommend we make use of these facilities as we set up; rather than
scare the board with a budget request.

Even in the case where the foundation does not wish to play a hands on
roll; we will still need to set the standard for the incubation process.
At the end of the day we want others feel comfortable using and
contributing to the projects championed by the foundation. The standard
we hold these projects and contributors to is where the reputation of
OSGeo foundation comes from.

Jody