[OSGeo-Discuss] Is there an Open Source software application thatwill draw a graticule on a map?

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:19:22 PDT 2007

Brent,

I am not sure ArcView or its open source replacement can produce the
kind of stuff Markus has been producing (maybe it can, just that I
haven't seen any). Most, really, really good cartographic output, the
kind you can print at 1500 dpi on a Scitex printer at 8 feet by 20
feet requires a helluva lot of work, and lots of planning. If you pick
up ESRI's map book, almost none of that stuff is produced with ArcView
and home laser printer. It is likely, however, that when you say "high
quality cartography," you are not referring to this kind of stuff.

Markus Neteler's stuff seemed to me of such beauty (raster software
does make for wonderful output) that it is something worth trying to
recreate. I am sure though that it is not point and click. Best is to
let Markus opine on this.