[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Sun Apr 13 11:48:51 EDT 2008

Hello Ari,

Have you looked at the MapGuide rendering engine? It uses AGG as backend (AGG is faster and looks better than Cairo), however, the underlying graphics library is isolated via an interface and can be changed -- until last release we used GD in fact. We also have KML output for MapGuide using the same rendering interface.

In addition, MapGuide also has a style engine on top of the renderer, which can layout user-defined point, line and polygon styles. It also has a font layout component that is used for labeling things like paths and also for making sure labels don't overlap, etc. See MapGuide RFC 14 for some examples (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc14).

The data input for MapGuide is FDO, however, that is also done via an interface which can be implemented on top of other data sources (OGR).

The engine is designed for interactive rendering speeds.

Traian