[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Bruno Lowagie bruno at 1t3xt.com
Mon Apr 14 02:08:29 EDT 2008

Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> www.openstreetmap.org

The site isn't working for me.

"While trying to retrieve the URL: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/
The following error was encountered:
     * Read Error
The system returned:
     (104) Connection reset by peer
An error condition occurred while reading data from the network. Please
retry your request."

All I need is a zip file with limited data of, for instance, a city.
Any city will do. As long is I just get the raw vector data and
a small explanation of how to use it.

With Open Street map, I don't have access to the help/wiki and my
first impression of the (blank) home page is that I'll have to
compile my own data set. I don't have time for that.

I don't ask you being 'PDF newbies' to read the PDF Reference
(1,200+ pages), but I'll be happy to explain every feature that
could be useful in a GIS application. In return I ask only one
favor: please give me some data I can use without doing any
extra "GIS" effort. I'm willing to write some Java code for free,
but I'm not a GIS developer (haven't done any GIS development in
the last 9 years).

best regards,
Bruno